Pairing Meditation with Mudras
Meditation is a wonderful way to begin and end each day.
Depending on what we need that day or time in our lives, we can use meditation to alter the way our body and mind feels. It can also help us react better to our circumstances.
Do you want to feel more accepting, free, grounded, less anxious? Well there is most likely a meditation for that.
And with that mediation, there is also probably a mudra we can pair with it.
This partnership of mediation and mudras can help create a deeper connection with our body, the earth and the air around us.
"What is a Mudra" you ask?
Long story short; Mudra in Sanskrit means Mark/Seal/Gesture. These gestures occur throughout the practice of yoga and meditation.
There are probably many mudras you already use that you may not even be aware of; such as Anjali Mudra, also known as "hands at heart center".
The use of Mudras is to channel energy and move it through the body in specific ways, and to accomplish specific purposes.
In the meditation below we will be using Bhu Mudra
Bhu Mudra is a grounding Mudra that is called the “gesture of the Earth.” This Mudra encourages a sense of stability in the body and the mind. This Mudra is best suited for seated postures as the connection of the Mudra to the earth.
Bhu Mudra-Bring the ring and the pinkie finger in under the thumb, with the index and the middle finger extended. The index and middle finger will make contact with the earth, lightly. Try to not press into the ground, of feel heavy.
Image of Bhu Mudra
Try This Grounding Meditation Below, Great for Fall and Winter!
- Sit in a comfortable seat with your sit bones rooted on the ground and a long spine.
- Hand and arms come to BHU MUDRA. Root your ‘peace’ fingers (pointer and middle fingers) into the ground with your arms straight out to the sides as you sit on the floor (or press peace fingers into the centers of your thighs).
- Notice your natural breath, perhaps sensing it dropping down into your belly and pelvis to assist in rooting and grounding you.
- Hold your breath for 5-10 natural breaths to start, increasing over time if you like.
- State this affirmation three times out loud, then silently as you breathe. “My Roots run deep, I am supported by the earth".
This Mudra and Meditation connects you with your physical body to the Earth.
Instills feeling secure, safe and grounded.
Can help to reduce stress, anxiety, and frenetic energy.